Monday, November 30, 2009

Shameless plug for myself!

Now ladies…I know you’re going to find this extremely hard to believe, but I’m actually single. I know…right?

Anyway, once the Abu Dhabi Adventure Challenge is over and I settle back into a decent 6-10hrs per week of training (decided that I want to pursue triathlon at a semi-competitive but mainly just for fun/fitness level) that allows for something of a social life, I may well meet a special young lady. And, I’ve realised, I’ll have an awful lot of explaining to do to the next lady in my life…

a)    Matt, why do you own more lycra than the average Jerry Springer guest?
It’s true. I own cycling shorts, neoprene compression shorts, 2XU compression top and bottoms, Nike Pros (short and longsleeves) training tops…the list goes on. Look, it’s not like I invented the notion of comfort, is it.


b)    Honey, why is your bathroom cabinet filled with Vaseline, talc and hair removal products?
OK, suffer the hellish sand-assisted chaffing that 10 hours of desert hiking brings and then tell me that you wouldn’t want to remove every single culprit that makes the burn even worse.


c)    OI, WARNOCK, GET HERE NOW and explain to me why you sneak out early every morning, get home late at night, always have tender nipples and have an angry looking rash in delicate areas.
Erm…well..!

Now I think about it, disclosing this type of information may be exactly why I am single.

That said, as I train harder and push my body more, I’m finding that I’m also unconsciously looking after it more carefully too. That goes from what I eat – including supplements, vitamins etc – to more aesthetic conceits. It even goes as far as my training gear – in the past, I happily picked up whichever shorts and t-shirt were passably clean to go to the gym, but now I do like to have crisp, sparkling workout gear – preferably even coordinated!

Vain? Maybe. But if you look good, you feel good; if you feel good, you perform better. I genuinely think it all helps me train harder.

Anyway, with the help of a and b (tight clothing, lotions and potions) there tends to be very little c (rash-based nastiness), so if you can live with a little lycra, ladies, start lining up now…I’m available for social engagements after next weekend and, after all that training, I should be a really cheap date!

No comments:

Post a Comment