Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Fear: the ultimate motivation

As Matt has kicked off the blog in such brilliant fashion, I thought it would be a good time to introduce myself in a similar way. I am Pete, a 24 year old journalist who has lived in Dubai for around a year and a half.

I grew up obsessed with football and played to a decent level before I broke my leg, which took away two yards of precious pace and my dreams of Premier League stardom. So since then I've cruised along in terms of fitness, took the usual university nose dive and now almost out of the blue I'm entered into one of the hardest endurance events on the planet.

As the renowned endurance athlete Alan Partridge once said: "I'm going to level with you, I'm pretty scared."

There is excitement mixed in as well of course, it's a great opportunity and an experience I will never forget. We are genuinely lucky to be involved and despite the fact that we are 'just the media team' I have dual ambitions: firstly I don't want to die, but on the other hand, I don't particularly want to come last either.



Most looking forward to: the final checkpoint of the desert hike - no mater how tired I am, it's going to feel pretty special.

Least looking forward to: falling off Jebel Hafeet - and taking three other teams down with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment