Monday, November 30, 2009

Comfortable in my own skins

As Matt pointed out in his last blog, the past week has been a nightmare. Things at work are only starting to slow down as the ADAC looms, soon to be followed by the Christmas holiday (which means tight deadlines). At some stage, a couple magazines are going to have to get written as well. Training has been sporadic and -- as one very loving and patient desert hack follower out there can attest -- it has definitely affected my mood.

Anyway, courtesy of Eid Al Adha, we had a four day weekend -- well, some of us did (sorry Matt) -- which presented a great opportunity to get back on the proverbial saddle of training. I'm happy to say riding, running, hiking and kayaking all happened this weekend.

During our massive desert hike, I feel like I turned a corner. For 99% of our trek, my legs felt strong, my energy stores were ample and my command of our GPS system improved significantly. I actually enjoyed the desert hike. For me, the desert walking portion will be my Everest but this weekend seemed different. The last 1% of the trek brought blisters on 9 of 10 toes and 2 of 2 heels but for the most part, I felt great and enjoyed a suprisingly short recovery time.

As I sat on my bed Saturday morning, amazed that the same feet that felt like they'd been put through a meat grinder the previous day displayed almost no signs of wear or tear and the dull ache that usually greets my hips, knees and ankles the morning after stayed well at bay, I began wondering what I'd done differently.

That's when it hit me: Skins. For those that have never heard of Skins, they're gradient compression performance equipment that feature BioAcceleration Technology to maximise muscle output and reduce stress on joints. Put simply, they're a really tight lycra outfit that, somehow, keeps you cool the more you sweat. I don't know how it works; I don't care. I know one thing though, behind fire and the wheel, Skins are perhaps the greatest invention of all time.






If I could, I'd wear Skins everyday. Friday was my first chance to fully suit up in Skins and as I sit at my desk Monday afternoon, I'm a little distraught that I'm not wearing them now. 25-30 kilometers in 100+ degree heat. Up and down dunes the size of mountains. Across salt flats as crunchy as Easter eggs. End result: Strong legs throughout and no pain the next day. Something doesn't compute. Well, with Skins, it computes.

In the past I've heard friends of mine who are parents make comments like, "When I come home from work everyday, that first sight of my children removes all my stress and puts a smile on my face." Well, I'm here to tell you, my Skins are my children. When I wear them, the sun shines brighter, the birds sing lovelier and every step is like a wonderful reminder of youth and virility.

Another bright spot in this great big desert hike product love-in, was the decision we all made to buy new shoes the day before the hike (perhaps the reason for all the blisters). When you're hiking in sand, you need to keep as much of it out of your shoes as possible, lest your toes curl up like a 10th Century Chinese foot binding. All manner of shoes, gaiters and methods are employed to reduce sand and increase comfort -- most of which prove unsuccessful after extended periods. Well, not anymore. World, meet the Saucony Razor.



I've got an apology to make. When first shopping for trainers, followers will recall that the Desert Hacks stopped into a Saucony shop and I mocked the size and shape of the Saucony shoe. Not only that, but deep in my heart of hearts, I mocked the people whose feet fit into Saucony trainers. If you recall, I called their feet 'cement-block-like'. Well, I stand corrected. With tail thrust firmly between my legs, I return asking for forgiveness. Forgiveness from teammates, followers, the Saucony Corporation and my girlfriend (I believe she called her Sauconys "cushy rockets").

The Saucony Razor is an amazing creation that is equal parts trainer, gaiter and the physical manifestation of pure awesome. As these are a new release item and several of our competitors will have been training for months and months in their current gear, the Saucony Razor may be our only hope. These little guys just may be the Desert Hacks first and last advantage. JRo

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Guys, great blog. Only just discovered it but will see you at the start of the challenge. Will be going down on Wednesday night so if you are there lets catch up for a pre-race beer.

    Have to find out where you got those saucony's from, have been looking all over for a decent desert shoe as my gaiters have taken a beating, i've gone for a last minute replacement pair from UK Gear.

    Oh, loved your comment about "The Bull" in first blog... that will stick. I think I'm also the John you refer too... but not John (although it is my dad's name) ;)

    ReplyDelete