Wednesday, November 25, 2009

The importance of arrogance

Arrogance can be a huge asset to any sportsman. When I was younger playing football, if I stepped onto the pitch believing I was the best player, I usually played like it.

One of the finest examples of sheer arrogance was from one of the most talented players I have seen in my lifetime. Of course it was Eric Cantona's celebration, following his sublime goal against Sunderland. There was no jumping, screaming or badge kissing, Cantona merely turned with his chest puffed out and stared knowingly at the crowd. It was almost as if he was questioning their right to bear witness to such a special moment of quality.

While the Desert Hacks' arrogance will never reach such highs, and rightly so probably, arrogance is a luxury we certainly want to be able to afford going into some of our events. Last weekend we smashed through the 40km walking barrier, something we will have to do consecutively in the event.

Now this is done, I can look down at a 40km walk, raise my collar, and treat it with some Cantona-esque arrogance. We all run 10km in training and brush it off like it isn't there. We can respond to 10km events with nothing more than a Gallic shrug. It is this arrogance that will give us confidence going into events and the strength to pull through them.

Cantona's moment of brilliance can be seen here www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vAOUgmRXsc

And for the record and those people who do not know me, no, I am certainly not a Man United fan.

Pete (still needing a haircut)

No comments:

Post a Comment