Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Seeking professional help

With the event just around the corner, I made the decision to seek help. And who better to ask for guidance on an endurance race than Dean Karnazes, a man famous for running 50 marathons over 50 consecutive days in 50 different states.

Dean has written several endurance running books, has competed in hundreds of races and was recently ranked as one of the Top 100 most influential people in the world in a Time magazine poll.













Dean Karnazes - Ultramarathon man


Here is what Dean had to say:

What do you find is the best type of food to eat during an event?

Dean Karnazes: It depends on the duration of the event, the temperature, the altitude (if any), and the terrain. As a general rule, I try to consume between 500-700 calories per hour, in a balance of 40% of the calories from carbs, 30% from protein, and 30% from fat.

How do you prepare in the week before a big race?

Dean Karnazes: My formal taper usually starts about a week out. I cut the daily load by about 50-60% in the five to seven days prior, and then cut that in half in days two to four before the race. The day before, I typically just walk a mile or two.

What is your current training schedule?

Dean Karnazes: My average weekly running mileage is 150km to 250km. I also cross-train following a specialized training regime developed by the military special ops squadron to help condition my entire body for the rigor of ultraendurance racing.

Do you have any tips on keeping going during a race, when doubts start to creep in?

Dean Karnazes: Yeah, I reflect on a quote of Churchill's, "When you're going through hell, don't stop. Stopping is death, just keep putting one foot in front of the other to the best of your ability."

Have you ever competed in team events? How do you think they compare to individual ones?

Dean Karnazes: I've done quite a bit of adventure racing and team events. I really enjoy the team dynamic and in many ways prefer team events over solo endeavors.

Have you ever raced in the Middle East? Is it something you would like to do, or do more of?

Dean Karnazes : The Middle East is on my 'life list' of places to visit and race. I've always wanted to go but have yet to have the opportunity. Hopefully soon.

What is the best piece of advice you have ever received for an endurance event?

Dean Karnazes: "Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up." My Dad said that to me and I think it even goes beyond endurance events and applies to everyday life as well.

What are your thoughts on the Abu Dhabi Adventure Challenge? Is it something you would like to participate in at some point?

Dean Karnazes: Are you kidding? I would LOVE to do the Abu Dhabi Adventure Challenge. It looks like a tremendous event. Enjoy!

Thanks to Dean for taking time out of his ridiculously tough training schedule. You can check out his website here: http://www.ultramarathonman.com/

Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment