Sunday, December 13, 2009

Home sweet home?

Well, we are back. Back to hot showers, warm food, comfortable beds and beer. When I got into my apartment I felt like a fat kid in a sweet shop, I really didn't know what to do first. Jump in a relaxing bath? Order a takeaway? Crack open a beer? For a while there was a danger I could have tried all three simultaneously, which would probably have resulted in me drowning in a giant vat of Burger King Carlsberg soup.

But now I am clean, refreshed and a little hungover - and I may have to whisper this part - I miss the adventure challenge slightly. I miss the buzz of the camp, the shovelling down of food, the aching legs, the never ending encouragement, the constant banter. I miss being in the presence of some stupendously fit atheletes, witnessing some superhuman achievements. But most of all I miss the competition. Not that we were competing with the other teams; they were far beyond our level. But we battled against our own limitations every single day, and if you think about it, how often can you say you do that?

I have already started training for the next event and I cannot wait for it to come around. Nothing is set in stone yet but we are hoping to compete again in the New Year. In the mean time I will be relishing some truly inspirational memories from an absolutely breathtaking six days.

Pete

No comments:

Post a Comment