Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Interview with Rich Roll – endurance racing legend

We didn’t get around to posting this before the event, but as well as getting advice from Ultramarathon Man Dean Karnazes (see older posts) we were fortunate enough to speak to Rich Roll…an Ultraman competitor (it’s like Ironman but even tougher) who, having let himself go a little over the years, turned his life around to be named one of the 25 fittest men on the planet by Men’s Fitness magazine and did it all on an entirely plant-based diet!



Hope you enjoy…


After you had your 'eureka' moment, how did you go about getting fit again?

My journey began with a decision to first address my eating habits. When I turned 40, I weighed in at about 205 pounds. As a former world-class competitive swimmer, I was far from fighting shape and knew I needed a serious change. I began with a seven-day supervised herb, fruit and vegetable juice cleanse and subsequently embarked on a vegetarian regime. However, after about 6 months on this routine, I was not experiencing any significant changes in either my weight or energy levels. I was close to abandoning vegetarianism altogether, but decided instead to give a vegan/100% plant-based diet a try first, given that I was already halfway there. After giving up dairy products, eggs and everything animal-based, I experienced a tremendous spike in vigor almost immediately and knew that I had discovered something that was working for me. It was only after establishing this nutritional program that I began to even think about returning to competitive athletics.

What roadblocks did you meet along the way? How did you overcome these?

I can’t say I experienced any 'roadblocks' per sey, but there have certainly been obstacles. There are always the naysayers and negative people who attempted to dissuade me from not only my plant-based diet but also from attempting to tackle such an endurance challenge as onerous as Ultraman. But the biggest challenge by far is balancing my professional life as a full-time entertainment attorney, husband and father of four children with a training program that averages about 20-25 hours per week. My solution for addressing this was to eviscerate everything from my life that was non-essential in order to find the time to meet all my obligations, including carefully choosing my company, to surround myself with a supportive network of influences.




What nutritional advice would you offer a budding endurance athlete?

I realize that not everyone is ready to go entirely plant-based. But I would encourage anyone who is interested in this to give it a try. If, after 30 days, you don’t feel better or experience an increase in your vigor, you can always go back. But don’t take my word for it. Do your own research. Books I found helpful were THE CHINA STUDY by Dr. T. Colin Campbell, THRIVE, by Brendan Brazier, THE ENGINE 2 DIET by Rip Esselstyn and HOW TO PREVENT AND REVERSE HEART DISEASE by Rip’s father Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn. At a minimum, I would encourage people to increase the percentage of organic fruits, vegetables, legumes and grains into their diet and eliminate processed foods and soft drinks.

What does your training schedule look like right now? How much is gym-based and how much outdoors?

Right now, I am taking a much needed break after Ultraman to allow my body, mind and soul to recover from what was an incredibly rigorous and challenging training season. In January, I will begin strength training with a  focus on core work and begin my return to cycling and trail running. Once Spring arrives, I will return to the pool and reduce my gym time considerably. Although I hate the gym and always prefer to be outdoors, strength training is important, especially for the older athlete. But by summer all of my workouts will be swim/bike/run.




What has been the best piece of advice you have received in your quest for fitness?

Follow your heart! Find something fitness-based that you genuinely enjoy. It shouldn’t be a fad or a phase. Its about a lifestyle choice - a journey, not a destination.

How happy were you with your performance in Hawaii (RR finished 6th in Ultraman 2009)?

Very happy. Winning the 6.2 mile swim and going on to win Day 1 by 10 minutes was a dream come true. And, although I suffered a serious bike crash on the Day 2 170-mile bike leg that ultimately dropped me down to 6th after a 7:51 double marathon on Day 3 with an injured knee and immobile shoulder, I wouldn’t change a thing. 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th – it doesn’t really matter to me. What matters is that I went on a journey. That along the way I was faced with some unexpected demons. That I was able to face them and persevere. That is what Ultraman is all about. It's what sport is all about. It's what life is all about. Of course, I would like to return to the race and put together a complete three-day race, but I would honestly say that my 2009 experience was perfect and I wouldn’t change a thing about it.

Have you ever raced in the Middle East? Is this something you would be interested in doing?

Not only have I never raced in the Middle East, I have never been to the Middle East. I would absolutely love to find a race, make the trip and experience that part of the world. I understand that there is quite a robust multisport community in both Abu Dhabi and Dubai, as well as an array of interesting races. Given the opportunity, I would definitely relish the adventure of travelling east.

What advice would you give to someone who is looking to change their life and become more healthy?

Within everyone exists the power to change. I don’t care how busy you are, how old you are, how overweight or out of shape you are...change is possible. It starts with a decision followed by a commitment along a trajectory of baby steps that, with consistency over time, will generate results. There are no easy fixes and it's not always comfortable. But its always possible. Search deep within. Identify what you want to change. Create a real plan that will work over time within the constraints of your life circumstances. Assemble a support network and begin the journey. You might just be amazed at what you are truly capable of. I certainly am. If you had told me two years ago that I would be where I am now I would have told you you were insane!

No comments:

Post a Comment